Wout Weghorst has ‘begged’ Besiktas to free him from his season-long loan deal at the club so that he can join Manchester United.
The Red Devils have made a move for the Burnley ace, who is contracted to the Turkish club until the end of the season.
The 30-year-old joined the Clarets in January 2022 but was unable to keep them in the Premier League. He was loaned to Besiktas in the summer, with Vincent Kompany keen to get the ‘£50,000-a-week Dutchman off the books.
Weghorst has rediscovered his form with the Turkish club, netting nine goals in 19 appearances so far this term.
Nevertheless, Weghorst feels a move to Old Trafford is too good to turn down and the Times report that he has asked Besiktas to respect his wishes.
Weghorst told club officials he wanted to join the Red Devils before Saturday’s clash against Kasimpasa, in which he scored and waved goodbye to supporters.
Besiktas would prefer to keep the forward but their finances are said to be ‘desperate’ and they would take a fee in compensation for Burnley recalling the Dutchman.
‘There could be a reward for us if we give our consent to the cancellation [of the loan deal with Burnley],” Besiktas football director Ceyhun Kazanci said.
‘For example, if Burnley told us: ‘Weghorst is moving to this team and we are giving you half of the fee’ we would sit down and talk to them.”
For more stories like this, check our sport page.