Man arrested after 27 years on the run faces more child sex abuse charges | UK News

Richard Burrows has been charged with another 27 offences (Picture: MEN Media/Andrew Price/View Finder Pictures)

A man who was arrested after spending more than 27 years on the run has been charged with fresh child sex abuse offences.

RIchard Burrows was detained at Heathrow Airport in March after returning to the UK from Thailand.

The 80-year-old, who is accused of historic child sex abuse, had been wanted since December 1997 when he didn’t urn up for a trial at Chester Crown Court.

His failure to appear in court led him to become one of the UK’s most wanted fugitives for the next two decades.

He had originally charged with two counts of buggery and 11 counts of indecent assault in relation to allegations of abuse said to have happened at a children’s home in Congleton, Cheshire, between 1969 and 1971 and in the West Midlands between 1971 and 1981.

A further 27 charges have now been authorised against him by the Crown Prosecution Service, Cheshire Police said today.

Burrows was arrested at London Heathrow in March this year after returning to the UK from Thailand (Picture: Andrew Price/View Finder Pictures)
Burrows was previously one of the UK’s ‘most wanted’ fugitives (Picture: MEN Media)

They include 20 counts of indecent assault, one count of buggery, three counts of making indecent images of children and four counts of possession of a false identity document with intent. 

Those additional charges relate to 11 victims and the alleged offences occurred between 1966 and 1996 across Cheshire, the West Midlands, and West Mercia areas.

Burrows is next scheduled to appear at Chester Crown Court on August 2 this year.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].

For more stories like this, check our news page.

MORE : Landlord ‘shot and burned bodies of family including two kids in backyard pit’

MORE : Woman admits killing mobility scooter user found dead in Tesco car park

MORE : Killer husband brought to justice 40 years later thanks to ‘dynamite’ new witness

Source link